NYU Hospitals Center Manager-Patient Financial Services in New York, New York
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Manager-Patient Financial Services.
In this role, the successful candidate oversees the daily operations of the billing team and has overall responsibility for successful transmission of hospital claims to all payors in compliance with payor guidelines. The position is responsible for daily operations and procedures related to addressing billing edits, claim edits, and clearinghouse rejections. Responsibilities also entail data analysis, billing system integration and functionality optimization, and interdepartmental collaboration to resolve billing issues. Training, coaching, and evaluation of staff performance is expected.
- Specialized Functions: Successful completion of HFMA CRCR exam (preferred); Participation in ODL/Harvard Mentor courses; Takes on additional responsibilities as assigned by management; Possesses strong analytical skills; Ability to troubleshoot system issues; Communicate and collaborate with other departments to resolve billing issues; Summarize and escalate to management trends in common issues; Approving Epic adjustments and refunds; Daily QA of Epic workqueues and re-balancing of billing workload.
- Compliance: Adhere to compliance and departmental policies and procedures including compliance with 100% of HIPAA requirements, required trainings, and other Hospital mandated activities
On a quarterly basis track assigned goals in e-Performance
- Special projects as assigned by Management: Complete projects in a timely and organized manner as assigned by management and delegating projects if necessary
- Training: Develop and maintain staff training plans and documents; Provide feedback to Management in regards to training needs and opportunities. Provide training tools to other departments as necessary
- Customer Service: Demonstrates a high level of commitment to customer service in responding to the needs of internal and external parties or departments; Provides and solicits correct information as needed or requested;
- Manage internal/external correspondence: Respond to communications in a timely and compliant manner; provide appropriate documents requested by payers or other parties; Provides information people need to know to do their jobs and make accurate decisions; Writes clearly and succinctly and ensures messages come across with the desired effect;
- Analytics: Perform “data mining” and in-depth accounts receivable analysis; Analyzes unbilled accounts, open balances and/or insures accurate payment posting; Completes appropriate follow-up action as necessary; Identification of proper criteria for running, reviewing and assigning reports and work queues as necessary; Performing root cause analysis on identified issues
- Staff Performance: Provides coaching and feedback to staff in areas of responsibility and completes probationary and annual performance appraisals for staff; Monitor staff and agency performance through monthly audits and random reviews; Conduct individual monthly meetings with staff to review results and provide feedback, including steps and solutions to address any issues
- Operations: Supervise the daily operations of the team including all staff, AR follow-up and agencies; Develops and maintains productivity standards for areas of direct responsibility and monitors adherence to those standards; Manage internal/external correspondence; Respond to internal communications in a timely and compliant manner; provide appropriate documents requested by payers or other parties; Monitors staff attendance and punctuality on a regular basis and maintains payroll system for department; Hold monthly staff and agency meetings
- Account Review: Reviews assigned accounts in Epic and third party remittances to determine accounts requiring action; Verifies accurate charge posting and claims submission; Analyzes any open balances and/or insures accurate payment posting; Completes appropriate follow-up action as necessary; Document all actions taken on accounts in the billing system; Performs root cause analysis with a solutions focus;
- Billing Services: Submits clear and accurate claims to third party carriers on a timely basis; Utilizes electronic follow-up system to perform billing activities; Confirms receipt of third party claims and re-bills claims as necessary; Is cognizant of time limits currently in effect for all billing activities and monitors for compliance; Troubleshoot problematic accounts, identify trends and root causes, and lead internal and interdepartmental initiatives to resolve issues
- To qualify you must have an Associates Degree and/or 3-5 years of medical billing and collections experience.
- Knowledge of PC applications and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelors degree
- Supervisory experience, at least one year.
- Industry certification (AHIMA, HFMA, AAPC, etc.).
- EHR experience (Epic preferred).
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.