Greenman-Pedersen,Inc. Bridge Inspection Assistant (ATL) in Buffalo, New York
EOE Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Category Construction Inspection
Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. (GPI) WNY office has an opening for a structural engineer in the role of Assistant Team Leader to be assigned to our recently awarded, two-year NYSDOT Biennial Bridge Inspection Program contract. This assignment may include some night work and overnight travel. All of the field work will be performed within the boundaries of NYSDOT Region 5 (Buffalo). Local candidates preferred, but not required.
Key Responsibilities - Under the supervision of the Inspection Team Leader, the ATL will:
* Assess, measure and document bridge condition and inventory data within NYSDOT's BDIS system;
* Assist the Inspection Team Leader with the identification of structural and safety flag conditions in accordance with NYSDOT Bridge Inspection Manual;
* Assist the Inspection Team leader with the preparation of sketches and the inspection report;
* Be familiar with OSHA regulations as well as proper Work Zone Traffic Control practices.
Skills / Qualifications - the qualified candidate must:
* Possess a BS in Civil Engineering from ABET accredited program; or
* Possess an AAS in Civil Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and 1.5 years of experience in bridge design, construction, inspection or other bridge related work; or
* Possess 3 years of recent experience in bridge design, construction, inspection, or other bridge related work subject to NYSDOT approval;
* Be capable of working at heights, on ladders, on scaffolding, and on aerial lifts or other bridge inspection access equipment;
* Be capable of climbing, walking on unimproved and uneven ground conditions, working in confined spaces (as defined by OSHA), and working in variable and sometimes adverse weather conditions;
* Be capable of working around and over water;
* Be proficient with general use of laptop computer including management of text, digital images and data entry;
* Be knowledgeable in the use of digital cameras, scanners , and other hardware necessary for the inspection.
* Qualified candidate must have a valid driver's license and retain a clean motor vehicle report (MVR) for final consideration.
* Ability to read and understand plans and direction given in the English language
* Ability to write in English
* Basic computer skills
- Ability to create and or edit Microsoft Word documents
- Ability to create and or edit Microsoft Excel documents
- Ability to create and or edit Microsoft Exchange emails with attachments
* Possess the ability to stand on your feet for approximately 3 hours minimum a day up to 8 hours a day.
* Possess the ability to traverse a construction job site consisting of uneven ground varying in height and consistency of material Variation of elevation 12" or less (mud, gravel, rutted ground etc.)
* Possess the ability to climb a ladder varying from 6 feet to 20 foot extension
* Possess the ability to ride in a mechanical lift or bucket truck up to a height of 100 feet
* Be physically able to don and wear and operate personal fall arresting apparatus.
* Be able to wear GPI standard PPE, i.e. hard hats, safety vest, work boots, safety glasses/goggles
* Be able to lift and or carry a weight of 30-50 lbs. (concrete inspection specimens and required equipment)
* Be able to work in a confined space by definition of OSHA.
* Physically able to wear and work utilizing a respirator or SCBA type of breathing apparatus.
Shift -not applicable-
Division Greenman-Pedersen, Inc.
Location GP13 - Buffalo Main