G4S Secure Solutions (USA) Inc. Telecom Technician Supervisor in Albany, New York
Plans, directs, and coordinates activities concerned with placing, troubleshooting, repairing and underground utility locating of fiber optic telecommunication cables and network equipment by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Serves as the liaison between technical staff and owner for fiber system issues.
- Supervises a team of technicians performing utility locating, facilities maintenance and network maintenance.
- Coordinates with owners to assess actual and/or potential conflicts with the company's fiber and electronics infrastructure infrastructure. Works with other team members to design a modified system if necessary.
- Analyzes OTDR test figures made when cable fault occurs to determine exact location of cable break. Using OTDR, troubleshoots fibers and plans and organizes repair efforts to successfully resolve customers' problems.
- Schedules, coordinates and oversees routine preventive maintenance and repairs on telecommunications systems, HVAC, DC power plant, diesel generators and transfer switches, fire suppression, CCTV and access control systems.
- Performs routine inspections, testing and maintenance of network equipment.
- May be required to be on-call (24X7) on a rotating schedule for network emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned by supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED equivalency and a minimum of ten years experience with telecommunications systems. Previous experience in construction, telecommunications network maintenance, electrical work, security systems, and/or fiber optic splicing and testing is desired. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Should possess a high level of working knowledge of telecommunications systems, HVAC, DC power plant, diesel generators and transfer switches, fire suppression, CCTV and access control systems.
Should posses experience with MegaSys MegaDac and ONS Network Management Systems.
Should possess a high level of working knowledge in the following specialty areas:
Data: modems, routers, DSU's, DDS services, Ethernet, token ring, TCP/IP, addressing/routing tables, and protocol analyzer, ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode).
Transmission: Transmission test sets, bit error rate testing, OTDR testing, SONET system implementation, testing and troubleshooting.
Switch: alarms, trunk activation, network trunk testing, network routing, database management systems, troubleshooting and restoration, battery plants.
Incumbent must possess a valid driver's license.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret engineering and construction drawings and specifications, common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and other documents. Communicates effectively in both oral and written English technical language, both in interpreting requirements and providing reports.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hand and fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The incumbent is required to walk daily on construction sites in rough terrain, and climb ladders and facilities under construction. The incumbent is occasionally required to stand for long periods of time. The incumbent may be required to lift and/or move up to 10 lbs. And occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 or 100 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent regularly splits time between work in a semi-quiet construction office environment and on construction sites, where there is moderate to occasional great noise levels. Some travel may be required.
Number Of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 2018-04-30
EOE Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
G4S is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
and an Alcohol- and Drug-Free Workplace