Canadian Pacific Manager Mechanical - Albany, NY in Albany, New York
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
* Jointly develop with Field Ops partners' facility plans and schedules for car maintenance and train and locomotive servicing that support OP and LSOP;
* Ensure activities are performed safely and in strict compliance with regulatory and maintenance standards consistent with expectations of the business;
* Provide managerial leadership and personal development to Stratum 1 and first level employees for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics and a role model to corporate values.
* Develops, monitors, and communicates key performance indicators to ensure all direct and indirect reports better understand the train service business as well as the role they play;
* Accountable for the application and implementation of accident prevention initiatives and ensures compliance with Company safety and accident prevention policies and procedures, regulations and general safety principles, ensuring that subordinates carry out the safety framework activities in the local safety plan;
* Accountable for communicating and interacting regularly with field operations to ensure train services is meeting the expectations of internal and external customers;
* Accountable for supporting and participating in development of the budget and monitoring the financial resources within the parameters of the budget;
* Maintains communication and relationships with local union officials, including monitoring gain sharing activities as applicable;
* Accountable for implementation of Lean continuous improvement recommendations to improve productivity and effectiveness of the operation. Support Lean Philosophy and Principals;
* Accountable for ensuring locomotive and car bad order repairs, cycle time and key metrics are met;
* Accountable for ensuring repairs are in compliance with AAR and FRA standards and policies;
* Ensure direct reports accountabilities are aligned and delivered;
* Accountable for managing mechanical forces at train incidents within their jurisdiction, safely manage and efficiently restore service with minimum financial loss and damage to equipment and assist Field Operations/Engineering partners;
* Accountable for communicating and interacting regularly with local/external car contract shops.
* Understanding of collective agreements and managing unionized labor force;
* Working knowledge of railway operations (road, yard, locomotive, mechanical);
* Knowledge of Company policies, procedures, Federal and State regulations and their applications;
* Ability to interact effectively with regulators and local labor officials;
* Ability to interact effectively with 3rd party contractors;
* Working knowledge of Federal Mechanical Operating Standards for locomotive and car and AAR/FRA standards and practices;
* Willing to solicit different/new ideas and the ability to accept change;
* Ability to effectively communicate messages in a way that will be understood readily by all employees;
* Possess and apply leadership practices;
* Ability to interact effectively with internal and external customers;
* Willing to be available as required on a 7X24 basis;
* Ability to interact effectively and positively with governmental and regulatory bodies;
* Demonstrate integrity in interacting with others;
* Work under pressure and adapt to change;
* Strong self-motivation and ability to make decisions within limits of authority;
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
* Flexible and competitive benefits package
* Completive company pension plan
* Employee Share Purchase Plan
* Performance Incentive Program
* Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
* Criminal history check
* Last 3 years of driving history
* Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
* Social Security number verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Employer's Job# 68224
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.