Barclays VP Legal Americas - Employment Law in New York City, New York
Job Title Legal Americas, Employment Law
Location New York – 745 7thAvenue
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
About Barclays in the US
Barclays offers corporate and investment banking and credit card services in the US. Our 10,000 US colleagues are located in offices across the country, with headquarters in New York City. In 2017, Barclays announced plans to create a world-class campus in Whippany, New Jersey, for our Technology, Operations and Functional teams in the US. Other principal locations include Delaware, Nevada, Ohio and Maine.
Managing Barclays' Legal risk is the fundamental responsibility of the Legal function. Our mission is 'to protect and create value for Barclays by managing legal risks and advancing opportunities', i.e. to protect and build the bank. Our role includes:
· Provision of business coverage and support, including commercial contracts, employment, intellectual property and transactional / deal support
· Oversight of regulatory relations
· Management of litigation portfolio
· Management of competition law investigations
Regulatory strategy and policy
Overall purpose of role
This position is part of the Global Legal Department of Barclays. This lawyer will be part of the Employment, Incentives & Pensions team in the Americas region (Canada, U.S., Mexico, Brazil) , which provides cross-cluster support for the regional businesses (primarily investment banking, corporate banking and the credit card businesses). This role is intended to provide primary business coverage for the Markets business and will coordinate and work with the global team as well to provide consistency in organizational risk appetite.
Your Role (Key Accountabilities)
The lawyer will be part of the internal employment law function, working closely with Human Resources, other control functions (including the Compliance department) and members of the business on the full spectrum of employment law issues (advisory, litigation, and transactional), including:
· general advisory: provide strategic advice to business and HR partners on risks of employment-related decisions and practices
· recruiting and hiring: drafting and negotiating employment agreements; developing templates and forms; advising on restrictive covenants
· employment claims: managing all forms of employee disputes and litigation matters, including agency charges, arbitration proceedings, and court litigation
· employment-related compliance reporting: serving as partner to Compliance to satisfy regulatory reporting obligations associated with employment issues (e.g., separation / U5 reporting)
· transactions: advising on the employment law issues relating to sales, spin-offs, and acquisitions and similar transactions
· employee benefits: working with HR and outside counsel on ERISA and benefits-related issues
· compensation: advising on wage-and-hour practices, including overtime issues, and on the development and administration of compensation programs, such as equity-based programs and deferred compensation arrangements; advising on 409A and other related issues
· policies and procedures: working with HR on the development and drafting of employment policies and their application under various state and federal laws
Basic Qualifications/Skills (Must be quantifiable)
o J.D. with admission to NY State Bar
o 5 years’ experience as employment lawyer, experience with financial services firms preferred
o Strong analytical skills; ability to efficiently analyze employment-related issues and effectively identify solutions
o Good judgment; ability to consider different courses of action in broader context of organizational culture and develop proper recommendations to solve problems and manage employment law risk
o Demonstrated teamwork and communication skills
o Demonstrated commercial instinct and thinking
o Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously without compromising quality of service
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity *
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Title: VP Legal Americas - Employment Law
Location: New York-New York City
Requisition ID: *90158009