Northwell Health TEMPORARY Clinical Medical Assistant (NASSAU COUNTY) in Mineola, New York
Req Number 001FIU
Job Category Nursing Support
Performs direct patient care under the supervision of a physician or appropriate clinician. Performs related clerical duties supporting operational needs.
Prepares treatment rooms for patient examinations, ensuring cleanliness and availability of appropriate equipment and supplies.
Interviews patient to obtain medical information and perform measurement and screening procedures.
• Prepares patient for examination and treatment.
• Obtains patient’s height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, head circumference, and other required vital statistics.
• Records findings in patient medical record and informs clinician of findings.
- Obtains specimens from patient, as directed by clinician.
• Collects blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens. Completes requisitions, labels and routes specimens according to established procedures.
• Performs electrocardiograms (EKGs), as required.
- Assists clinician during examination, procedures and treatment, as required.
• Secures required supplies, tools and equipment for specific procedures.
• Ensures patient is appropriately draped and positioned.
• Provides requested instruments to clinician during procedure. Assists in positioning and holding patient, as required.
• Assists patient after examination, procedure or treatment.
Prepares, sterilizes and calibrates equipment. Informs Supervisor of malfunctioning equipment.
Strictly adheres to infection control standards in the performance of duties.
Performs related clerical duties supporting operational needs.
• Participates in patient registration, as required. Processes insurance forms, certifications, physician orders, prescriptions, etc.
• Ensures required patient information and documentation is available in medical records.
• Schedules and confirms patient appointments.
• Places, receives and directs phone calls.
• Files, copies, and distributes documentation, as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
• High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
• Successful completion of a six-month (6) to one (1) year course in Medical Assisting program, required.
• Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), preferred.
• Prior experience and demonstrated competence as a medical assistant, preferred.
• Data entry skills (80 kpm), required.
• Ability to communicate effectively.