Corning Incorporated Chemical Process Engineer in Corning, New York
Chemical Process Engineer
Date: Oct 4, 2017
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14830
Req #: 6603
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
• Reducing defects by eliminating root causes.
• Working with suppliers to improve performance.
• Ensuring that the measurement/inspection system meets the customer’s needs.
• Improving processes and solving problems based on fundamental understanding gained through the use of the scientific method
• Applying DMAIC and advanced statistical tools.
• Improving manufacturing cost, quality, uptime, yields, cycle time, and safety.
• Evaluating new raw materials, new equipment, or new process parameters.
• Documenting SOP, SOS, experiment planning, and process changes.
• Projects could support any Corning division or research and development
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Design and develop new processes or improve existing processes at Corning facilities worldwide
• Solve problems and improve processes based on fundamental understanding and structured problem solving methods such as KT, Designed Experimentation, or Six Sigma.
• Implement Process Control and Process Discipline systems into manufacturing operations
• Analyze process data using statistical tools (e.g. pareto, regression, time charting, analysis of variance, gauge R&R, etc.).
• Measure and communicate performance against established objectives.
• Review and interpret data to make recommendations on immediate actions, long term corrective actions, follow-up experiments, etc.
• Document processes and train operators and peers on defined processes
• 25% on average, depending on the projecting requirements
• Includes international travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Minimum of BS in chemical, materials, ceramic or mechanical engineering (MS preferred)
Required Years and Area of Experience:
0- 5 years experience in engineering/manufacturing
• Rigorous problem solving - Proficient in the use of DOE, SPC, Six Sigma and other process control/ analysis techniques
• Process excellence (Six Sigma) Green Belt or higher
• Experience completing projects in a manufacturing organization
• Decision making based on data Desired Skills:
• Effective presentation skills
• Capable of leading small process development / improvement projects
• Innovation experience
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Personal initiative and commitment
• Organized with good planning and time management skills
• Ability to build relationships within cross functional groups; team building skills
• Positive attitude, flexible and good work ethic
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Corning