ICL Counselor in Brooklyn, New York
This is an entry-level direct care position assigned to community residences. Incumbents are assigned to shifts to ensure the provision of 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week coverage. Workers in this job category perform a wide variety of tasks related to the care, nurturing, treatment, education, socialization, habilitation, recovery/healing, safety, security, and support of adults diagnosed with mental illness and substance abuse disorder. These tasks focus on supporting, instructing, and assisting recipients of services to develop the skills needed to attain personal goals, live, be educated, work, and socialize successfully in the community environments of their choice and also in maintaining a safe, clean environment. In addition, workers also advocate for clients and support families or other caregivers in their efforts to assist these individuals.
Schedule: Saturday, Sunday: 3:30 pm to 12:00 am
- Throughout assigned shift performs regular inspections inside of the facility to ensure the safety of the consumers and residents, accountability of property, cleanliness of consumer rooms and common areas, cleanliness and security of the area immediately outside of the facility, and the security of any assigned vehicles. Ensures that only authorized individuals are permitted access to the residence.
- Immediately reports serious incidents, serious incident allegations, incidents, or sensitive situations to supervisors. Completes incident reports in accordance with Institute for Community Living policy
- Explains the types of services, recreational activities and other programs available to consumers and residents, instructs the consumer or resident in daily living skills, socialization skill enhancement and conflict resolution.
- Executes emergency plans as outlined in the policy and procedure manual under the direction of the assigned supervisor and adheres to program policy on securing the safety and well-being of consumers/residents, staff and visitors requiring emergency medical care.
- Assists and instructs individuals in attending to personal hygiene, grooming, nutrition and daily living; ensures that sufficient and appropriate attire is available.
- Reviews the staff communication log at the beginning of the work shift and makes entries in the staff communication log concerning security checks, crisis incidents, emergency situations, incident reports, or other essential elements of information designated by program management
- Observes the physical environment and performs housekeeping tasks as necessary to ensure the maintenance of a safe, clean, comfortable and healing environment for individuals.
- Ensures that the food provided or selected is appropriate for those on a special diet.
- Accompanies consumers or residents on regularly scheduled or emergency visits to medical treatment facilities, social agencies, social activities, government offices, or other locations associated with the treatment or assistance of the consumer or resident.
- Expected to comply with attendance rules and to report to work as scheduled and/or required on a regular basis. Must have availability and ability to work beyond the normal schedule as needed.
- Expected to attend regular scheduled team, and staff meetings and supervision
- Complies with all required in-service training, and staff development activities.
- May provide monitoring of medications and make appropriate medication administration form entries in accordance with the medication protocol. May assist consumers/residents who are on a monitored medication regime.
- Assists the clinical staff in accounting for residents/consumers. May assist in the filing of missing person reports on residents/consumers not accounted for in accordance with Institute for Community Living policy and procedure.
- Observe individuals’ behavior and specific responses to treatment and rehabilitation programs, support services and medication and reports observations orally and/or in writing, including computer entries, as instructed and in accordance with applicable audit standards.
- May lead skills development or activity groups with individuals and families as appropriate.
- May assist and supervise individuals in meal preparation, laundry, and light housekeeping tasks.
- Other job related duties that may be assigned.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of mental illness and serious emotional disturbances and substance abuse disorders.
- Basic knowledge of treatment, rehabilitation, and community support programs as they relate to consumers/residents, families, and staff.
- Basic knowledge of routine clinical procedures and medications.
- Basic knowledge of techniques for identifying and preventing potentially violent behavior, including crisis management techniques.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work with consumers/residents, families, and staff in a caring and respectful manner, and with due understanding of and consideration for cultural differences.
- Serve as a role model to residents/consumers.
- Ability to read and write at least at the secondary school level and to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to complete written forms and reports in an accurate and timely manner, manually and by computer.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, consumers/residents, families, and the public.
- Ability to accompany or transport residents/consumers (Some assignments may require possession of a valid driver's license).
- Ability to secure and maintain certification for Standard First Aid and CPR.
High school graduate or GED plus one year of related human services experience. Specialized training or education in human services may be substituted for experience. NYS driver’s license may be required of some assignments.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.
Position Number: 16532807
Department: Halsey House
Job Locations: US-NY-Brooklyn
Type: Regular Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Minimum Salary: USD $11.00/Hr.
Maximum Salary: USD $11.00/Hr.